The Politecnico di Milano was established in 1863 with the name of “Istituto Tecnico Superiore” under the leadership of Francesco Brioschi, deliberately planned along the lines of the polytechnics in German speaking countries by a group of academics and professors, local administrations, cultural associations and entrepreneurs from the most prominent Milan families.
In 1865 the first education orientation, according to which the school was dedicated to high engineering and technological research education, was followed by the special section for civil architects. It spurred the creation of a true modern architecture high school not to be found in Italy at that time.
The Politecnico has never ceased to grow, and has played a significant role in the field of engineering and technology as well as in architecture and design, and contributed through its graduates, who then became professors, researchers and entrepreneurs, to making the history of scientific research in Italy and in the world.
Today the university, with its premises in Milano-Leonardo, Milano-Bovisa, Como, Cremona, Lecco, Mantova and Piacenza, offers its students some of the most advanced laboratories for scientific and technological research in the world.
The school has 1,355 professors and researchers, and 25,952 students. it offers to the international candidates 29 bachelor programs, 35 master programs and several Ph. D programs.